Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My first Men's Shirt Refashion

I've been wanting to refashion men's shirts for some time.  I have some very pretty ones that I just can't bring myself to cut into.  So I got this one as a practice shirt for a couple dollars at the local thrift store.

Men's shirt refashion - before

 Yikes my hands look like I'm a ghoul.  See what happens if you don't have a dishwasher!  Anyway the problem with a practice shirt is its not very inspiring. 

I cut off the collar, making a scoop neck, and took it in at the bust.  I tried to put darts 3 times but it never came out right, so I gave up and took in the shoulders at the top to make the armholes smaller.  Then I cut smaller armholes out of the sleeves, and cut off the cuffs.

Here it is with the neckline unscooped because I raised the shoulders. 

Men's shirt refashion - mid stream

I thought about leaving it long as a tunic, but it looks like scrubs to me.  So I cut it short.

Men's shirt refashion - complete


I cut the sleeves to 3/4 length, and the button worked out perfectly.

CIMG2575


Men's shirt refashion - complete

I think its ok, but I don't love it.  I'm going to do the next one with the buttons down the front.

Thanks for looking.

Kathy

6 comments:

  1. p.s., I guess if the shirt was large enough you could run a seam down the back taking out the buttons and make it a pull over top

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to re-size it to suit your body contour and add more oomph with the use of fabric paint. This would look really cool if you can make it look more appealing 'coz its original state is boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing the steps. I also have a number of men's shirts which usually end up cut up and in my stash. But I can now see that I'm going to have to re-think that. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the next shirt!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably right Abby. I've been doing most of my refashion's for a temp office job that I don't want to buy new clothes for. This one I can only wear on casual fridays any way so I might as well snazz it up.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have the right idea here, dont stop now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a message. I really appreciate it!
Gracias para dejar un commentario. Me gusta mucho!
Kathy