Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Art/Craft Club - project: decoupage/collage

 
One of my neighbors and I decided to start an Art/Craft group. We already have an informal sometimes weekly meeting of women on our street and nearby and decided to piggy back on that meeting. We decided on this format: that each person can bring their own thing or do something supplied by the host or their helper Or just show up and talk and snack as usual. For our first one, Susan hosted and I supplied decoupage/collage supplies. I also brought samples and books. Here are some of my samples, my ancester candle holders and my "decoupage under glass" plate.
And next examples are a frame I made for a decoupage class that I taught at a group home (they all made similar but bigger ones), and a different view of the ancester candle holders:
Photobucket I need a new phone message book, so as a demonstration I took this plain notebook: Notebook - before and turned it into this using some paper that I brought. I layered papers and used partial prints along the edges and lots of mod podge: Photobucket
On the back I decided to go simple: Photobucket
It was fun! Everyone looked at my decoupage books and most of the 6 of us worked on crafts. Susan showed her gorgeous glass on glass project which unfortunately I didn't get a pic of and she cut up some paper to for paper collage/mosaic. The other Kathy cut out the middle of some pretty cards to use as frames for the table numbers at her daughter's wedding. Marion knitted. Heidi brought a box of patterns and started to teach Jen about sewing. Only Jen wanted to try paper collage on an extra notebook that I brought, but she didn't get very far and asked if I'd bring the supplies back next week to her house.
And I finished something. I have a beautiful new phone message book. Everyone said "you mean your husband actually takes messages?!" Well, that's another matter.

I'm linking to Whatever Wednesday at Someday Crafts. Check out the awesome projects and ideas here.

Also go to LIT AND LAUNDRY's Finished for Friday to see other finished projects!

Kathy

Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am very envious. It would be so much fun to get together with like-minded women and talk and craft (even though I bet it's more than 10 minutes, huh?) I love the way the decoupage turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! Be sure to post your fabric flowers and let me know when you get around to trying it! I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! I feel like I have to share your project with my girls! This is very Creative! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun thing to do. I love to decoupage (although I make a mess with Mod Podge!). And a phone message book--there's a novel idea, something my kids could use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah the note book is a great first time project. You really can't go wrong. My foster daughter works with a young woman with dd and she had me show her how to decoupage. She made a notebook and a frame as gifts for Christmas. And they were beautiful!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat that you have a group that can share ideas like that. I know it helps me when I'm looking to learn something or need an idea.

    My baby sis came down last week and she gave me a great idea on one of the shirts I'm working on.

    Like all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have too many phones at our house so I would need a phone message book at each of them -& then have to hope DH would actually write in them,LOL. Thank heavens for mobiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! Its kind of amazing that we all still have land lines in this group. One message book lasts for years though, so all the more reason to have it look nice.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so wish I had a craft group to join. I don't know a single woman who would be interested. I'm a tad jealous. What you did with that composition book is fabulous! I can't wait to try this. Your blog is fabulous!

    thanks for taking the time to visit my blog too :)

    -brightest blessings-
    Karina

    thasnifty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had a neighbor or friend who liked to get together and craft, or had the time. It's more fun with someone! When you visited my blog I hope you checked out my 2 bracelet giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice arts and crafts, primrose! Thanks for commenting at my "Maxine on Saturday." :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy--thanks for your question. I bought the books at a thrift store, picked sizes I wanted over content. One of the books looks interesting so i certainly might read it, but they are decoration for the most part :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, I love that notebook! I haven't done decoupage is so long! Now you got me thinking I need to do a little project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great projects...I love what you can do with decoupage objects. Thanks for stopping by my blog...I will be posting about more milk glass thrift finds tomorrow...stop on by! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to have a craft group! That is freaking awesome! I haven't tried a whole lot of decoupage projects yet but things like this make me want to dive right in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I had a neighborhood crafting group too. Maybe I'll start one! I love your message book. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a fun way to jazz up plain things. My decoupaging skills can never be as great :(. love the candle holders and the frame, especially!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a message. I really appreciate it!
Gracias para dejar un commentario. Me gusta mucho!
Kathy